Monday, February 23, 2009

Testing

Taekwondo testing is coming up on the 27th. I'm not sure how I feel about it, other than that I believe I am prepared, and hope to get my Red Belt on the 28th. The testing itself is a huge problem for me though. It is held in a gymnasium with a full basketball court complete with 6 hoops and stands. I've memorized everything I need to do at the testing, but I get extremely overstimulated when everything is going on around me. It is not anxiety-provoking as other people tell me that it is for them. The bright BRIGHT lights, all the white uniforms, the sudden yells and the commotion all confuse me greatly. I think that my problem is related more to my sensitivity to certain lights, the contrast of the uniforms against the gym floor, people cheering and yells from those who are doing their form. I suppose overwhelm would suffice as a feeling here...At the end of testing, I have already long turned off the outside world and desperately need some alone time. Alone time is a great way to "unwind." Another thing that is helpful, if I am not too too zoned out, is having time and space to do my favorite activities like looking for items on ebay to add to my collection, or organizing. Organizing...definitely. I am so disorganized sometimes that I think it interfers with just living day to day. Organizing my collections or cleaning up my room really help me to kind of make as someone said, "order out of chaos." (I have no clue who's quotation this is, but it just came to mind), and I am very happy because that is what I was trying to say all along.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

hope you did well. Sorry I am late reading this. I got way behind!

Could you wear ear plugs to help block out noise?