Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pretending to Be Normal



Well, this is one of the books I got at Barnes and Noble for my speech that I'm doing on Asperger's. I've read some of it already and was wondering the opinions or ideas of others out there who have read this book. It is an account of Liane Willey's life with Aspergers. The book goes through the stages of her life, and so far I've gotten to her late teens and early 20's...about where I am now. I guess I was hoping for a book that I could relate to more since I have a hard enough time trying to relate to people. However, I find that L. Willey's experiences are far from those of mine. It is hard to understand for me why she was able to be on the swim team, hang out with the popular kids in HS, be thrilled about public speaking and drama...etc. Please know that I by no means intend to make little of her struggles. I am just curious as to why I wasn't able to do all the things that she did when she was younger. I will continue to read this book to make sure there is not something I am missing...something I can relate to...I know Asperger's and Autism are part of a spectrum and thus everyone with them functions differently and has different abilities. It just makes me think of "why didn't I..." Oh well...

No comments: